Thursday, July 20, 2006

Reasons Why My Husband Loves Me

A few years back, my husband and I started a strange ritual which, though he seems to enjoy, I'm sure he regrets. After exchanging "I love you"s, for whatever reason, I asked him, "Why?" Why I asked this, I'm not sure. We were probably in the usual playful mood, and I probably just wanted to start up some trouble. I was acting like a little kid - petulant and spoiled - but it was kinda funny. I guess you had to be there.
Anyway, he is usually ridiculously well spoken, and, of course, he gave me a gem of a reason: He loves me because "Home" is wherever I am.
Well that wrecked it for him right there. I thought that was the sweetest thing. I don't know what I was expecting to come out of his mouth, but I know that wasn't it. He played along with my silliness and floored me. The grin from that reason lasted a good long while. I think he was pretty proud of himself for eliciting the desired effect from me so easily.
So what did I do? I pushed it, of course.
A couple of nights later, after exchanging "I love you"s, I leaned over to him with an evil grin and asked "Why?" again. At first, I got the all-knowing look -- he was on to me! But he uttered another zinger and the poor guy has been giving me reasons regularly for years now. I don't get them every day, though I did for a long time. I probably average 1-2 per week now. It's been a fun little game, and he's been too good of a sport.
My only regret is that I didn't keep track of all of the reasons that he has given me. I definitely remember a good number of them, but I'm afraid the majority of them are lost in my brain somewhere. I'm going to post my reasons here so that I can keep track of them and so that his thoughtfulness isn't wasted on just me.

No comments: