Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Curiosity and My Doctor's Wife

One result of our acquisition of iPhones in July was my sudden compulsion to populate our address book with photos of our contacts. I turned to the Internet for most of the photos. Specifically, I ran Google Image searches. When I got to one of my doctors, I found a good picture, but I also found several references to a book written by his wife. After some more digging, I found that in 2004, his wife wrote a book about the first two years of their marriage and didn't change their names in it.

Now, part of me really didn't want to read this book. I happen to adore this doctor. I respect him as a doctor and think he is a pretty cool guy. He has mentioned his wife briefly to me a few times and usually it has been in the context of her attitude towards something being similar to my own. There was something about the idea of reading this book that seemed wrong.

I ended up reading the reviews for this book on Amazon.com anyway. After 43 reviews, the book scored a 4 out of 5 star rating. The only real criticism of the book seemed to be of the author's personality - and since the book was a memoir, there was a lot of her personality on display in it. Most reviewers thought it was humorous and most gave it a 5 star rating. If it was funny, how bad could it be for me to read it? I usually read non-fiction books, but we were leaving for vacation in a few days, so I ordered a copy. Some light reading would be nice for a change. Curiosity was winning.

I read most of the book on the airplane and finished it on the deck of our hotel room. It was a really fast read and was humorous on the whole. When I finished the book, I felt like I knew a little too much about their relationship. I also felt a little bad for my doctor. I could see how the criticisms about his wife's personality were formed. Then I remembered some of our previous conversations and the way he looked at me after I said certain things. In hindsight, I wonder if he was wondering if I read his wife's book!

On the whole, she portrayed him positively, so he shouldn't be embarrassed. Though, I may feel a little embarrassed the next time I see him for an appointment. I feel like I've been eavesdropping at their window. Hopefully, that won't show. Curiosity is not your friend.

No comments: