Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Dog Can Spell


Our dog, Samantha, turns four at the end of the month. She has been a member of our family since she was eight weeks old. As a mini dachshund, she has quite an independent streak. We've always known that all her cylinders were firing in her little head, but recently, she impressed us once again.

Samantha loves cheese. We started putting shredded cheese in her bowl as a treat, but it got to the point where she would just look at us as if asking where the cheese was when we didn't give it to her. So, Samantha gets her cheese more times than not. We realized that she knew the word “cheese” and so a long time ago, we started spelling it when we didn't want her to know what we were discussing. We ended up spelling a lot of words that she knew. We spelled “cheese” and “bone” and “bed” and “play” and called her Wiggly Giggly ball (which she adores) the “W.G.” There's more, but you get the point.

I recently realized that Samantha can spell these words too now. By the time I get “C-H-E” out of my mouth, she's at my feet looking up at me. When I say “B-O-N-E” her head snaps to attention and her ears prick up - she then proceeds to watch me like a hawk. She's a smart one alright. Let's see if she learns Spanish too. Queso anyone?

No comments: