Friday, November 16, 2007

Flu Shots at the MGH Walk-In Unit

My husband and I are going to be traveling a lot in the next few months, so I was anxious to get a flu shot. I've had a flu shot every year except for one in the last several years (and that was the year they were rationing them for pregnant women, the elderly and children - and I did get the flu that year). I really hate being sick and getting a flu shot is a seriously small price to pay for some minor attempt at immunity. The only bad thing about getting a flu shot is the usually ridiculous wait at the clinic/hospital/doctor's office and finding out where to go to get one in the first place.

This year, when I called my doctor's office at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) to inquire about a flu shot, I was told that they had already run out of their entire supply. Classic. Luckily, the office attendant suggested that I go to the MGH Medical Walk-In Unit. I have gone to this clinic more times in the last decade than I want to admit. I have gone to this clinic whenever I felt that I was in need of non-emergency medical assistance and my doctor's office was unable to see me. So it made total sense that when my doctor failed me again, the Walk-In Unit would be there to help me out.

So I drove over to MGH this morning and walked over to the Walk-In Unit on the main floor of the Wang Building. Across the hall from the clinic, was a station that was set up in the hallway to dole out flu shots. There was no line. I walked up and was greeted by two very nice women. I handed one my MGH Blue Card and the other one administered the flu shot to me behind a curtain. Wham Bam, Thank You Ma'am.

That was seriously the best experience I've ever had in obtaining my annual flu shot. Many thanks to the MGH Medical Walk-In Unit. I highly recommend going there if you are still in need of a flu shot and have a valid MGH Blue Card (hospital registration). Their hours are Monday - Friday: 8:30a.m. to 8:00p.m., Weekends and Holidays (except Thanksgiving and Christmas): 9:30a.m. - 4:00p.m. If you have questions for them, you can reach them directly at 617-726-2707.

1 comment:

Stanley Robinson said...

Thanks for the info! :)