Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Hooray for Cold & Rainy Days


When I woke up this morning, I really didn't want to come out from under my nice warm covers. The furnaces had been running all night and the outside temperature was in the 40's. I managed to pull myself out of bed and realized that it was raining heavily outside too. The rain from the previous week knocked most of the leaves off of the trees and I suspect this rain will knock off another round of them. When I walked Samantha this morning, it wasn't raining very hard, but it was cold, wet and grey. Samantha did her business quickly and promptly put her two paws on top of my shoe - which is her signal for, “Pick me up NOW, please.” She hates rainy days and seems to sleep a lot when the weather is bad. I know other people who find themselves in foul moods when the weather turns foul as well. I guess I'm strange, but I like days like these.

There are definitely exceptions to this feeling - the biggest ones being when I am at the airport and need my flight to run on schedule and when it's been raining non-stop for days on end - but in general, I think there is a need for cold, rainy days. I use these days to catch up on the more mundane tasks in my home that I would normally push off as long as possible. I get my personal finances in order on days like today. I don't stay inside all day though. I do what I have to do and don't let the rain hinder me. Unless I have to meet with somebody, I usually don't use an umbrella. I don't run into buildings from my car. I just let the rain fall on me. I'm the crazy lady in the store parking lot who is casually walking to her car without an umbrella in a deluge. Yes, that's me. I don't care if I get drenched, I get a kick out of the rain.

I haven't always been like this though. Growing up, my father wouldn't even let me play in the sprinklers. He thought that getting wet would lead to illness - never mind the bacteria & viruses. When I was working, I always had an umbrella handy and rushed through rain and snow to get indoors whether I was on the job or not. Now that I'm closer to 40 and have a decent grasp of my mortality, I try to slow my life down as much as possible and be aware of what is going on around me right now. Part of that has been learning to enjoy all of the weather that we get as there isn't a whole lot we can do to change it. One of my favorite times to remember was experiencing Hurricane Charlie from our balcony at the Grand Floridian Hotel at Disney. I try not to be sad about the weather unless someone is getting hurt.

It's actually really liberating to stand outside in the rain and enjoy getting pelted with raindrops. After you do it for a while you notice the people around you who are looking at you like you're a kook. Now, you may be one of those people who think I'm a kook, but I assure you I'm just having a good time.

No comments: