Saturday, November 10, 2007

One Misconception of All-Girls' Schools

I recently had a conversation with a relative of mine and she told me that her daughter, who is in pre-school will be attending an all-girls' school. Now, I went to an all-girls' school for high school. I attended a co-ed school from kindergarten through 8th grade. While discussing this decision with her, I realized that there are a lot of misconceptions about all-girls' schools. The one I think is hilarious is the idea that girls who attend an all-girls' school will have more time to focus on their school work as they don't have to worry about their personal appearance -- there are no boys around to impress.

The truth of the matter is that most women naturally dress and make themselves up to impress other women. They may think that they are trying to impress men, but in truth, they're not really. Poll any group of well-adjusted males and ask them what they would want their wives or girlfriends to wear when they are with them. They're not mentioning clothes that can be found in the fashion magazines and when they mention “jeans” they're usually not specifying the brand on the label. Most guys like women to look “natural” and don't like a lot of makeup on them. Now, most all-girls' schools have uniforms, but there are still issues of make-up, hair and accessories (jewelry, purses, shoes, etc.) In addition, I don't know many all-girls' schools that don't have casual days at least once a month. I once had somebody say that it must have been great for me to not have to worry about hair and make-up through high school. What a laugh that was. I was lucky as I had a mom with really good taste that made sure I didn't have to worry about those things. Several of my classmates had it a lot rougher.

I think if we had men in our school, it would have been easier. Young women can be brutal to one another. With men around, the brutality would have probably been tempered as the men would have been there to witness the bad behavior. In my experience, I had to care about my personal appearance more in the all-girls' school than in the co-ed school. Sad, but true.

1 comment:

Danacea said...

I read this with an enormous amount of interest. I went to an all-boys' school (long story!) and the reason Ardingly was turned co-ed was to curb the competition and aggression - and the appalling misconceptions the boys had of the opposite sex. Segregating one gender from the other during formative teenage years is just asking for more trouble than it cures!!