Thursday, January 24, 2008

Turf Wars

Look at that face! Our dog Sam is just a pill sometimes. As many of you know, I was in Chicago this week and brought Sam along with me. We stayed at my mother's house in the shrine to me also known as my old bedroom. She had a pretty full schedule while we were in Chicago and spent a lot of time with a lot of different members of our family. They all fawn over her & she gets a false sense of self-importance. Clearly.

My husband flew home to Boston on Monday so the full sized bed in the shrine was to be shared by Sam and me this week. I prefer the side of the bed next to the large night-stand with the lamp and the big alarm clock. What does the dog need a night-stand for anyway?

At well past our bedtime last night, I put her up on the bed, expecting her to walk to the far side of the bed and get hunkered down for the night. Instead, she tried to bed down on my side of the bed. Well, I put a few bags & things up on my side of the bed so she couldn't get comfortable there. I wasn't ready to physically get in bed just yet. So half of the bed was covered in bags and computer stuff and half the bed was wide open for her. She walked over to the far side of the bed and looked lost. She looked as though she was weighing her options: burrow under the covers or sleep on top of one of the pillows. I moved a pillow so it laid flat for her. She stepped up on it and looked like she had decided to make a bed on it. She walked a tight circle while smelling the pillow and began scratching at it in the way that she scratches at the place where she wants to bed down. She walked and sniffed and scratched and scratched. Then, she did something she has never done in the four years that we have had her: She urinated on the pillow!

What the heck was that about? Guess she felt the need to mark out her spot in bed in the only way really available to her. She didn't have luggage and computer stuff to throw on her side of the bed - so she peed. Um... thanks. Yeah, she showed me alright.

I jumped up, scolded her, took the pillow and tore the pillowcase off of it. She looked confused and a little sad. I scolded her again and realized the urine had already soaked through the pillowcase. Ugh. So I took it all to the laundry room and cleaned up. When I got back to the bedroom, I found that she had burrowed under the comforter and made a bed there. I got my side of the bed that night and a look at some of the feistiness that resides inside a dog that doesn't even weigh 12 pounds.

2 comments:

timepilot said...

that's my girl. :)

princesscathy said...

Weisen has done that before. He usually only sleeps in our bed when Mike sleeps in the guest bedroom (an unfortunate side effect of snoring) and the first time we tried to all sleep together Weisen showed his displeasure by peeing on MY side of the bed (I suppose to mark me as his territory to Mike). Now he only sleeps with me when Mike is elsewhere.