Monday, August 11, 2008

Girls and Pirates

My husband and I were at Walt Disney World for a long weekend this past weekend. While there, we decided to get temporary tattoos. It’s totally silly – we know - but we derive enjoyment from the good laugh and running around like 10 year olds with pocketfuls of allowance money. The tattoos only last a week or so.

He selected a nice airbrush of Stitch from “Lilo and Stitch.” I had to laugh because he’s not a small man and Stitch is pretty cute. Ha. I selected a skull and crossbones with squid tentacles – which isn’t really something I would pick out for myself on a permanent basis. I guess I have a tattoo commitment phobia - among other commitment phobias. The idea of permanence is a bit daunting for me.

While the attendant was administering our tattoos, we were talking with one of the vendors from a neighboring cart. He was a very nice man who seemed to be in his late 50’s. He asked which tattoo I had selected and I told him. He shook his head, looked at my husband and said, “What is it with girls and pirates? They all want pirates. Why do girls all go for the bad guys?” Then he asked me, “Whatever happened to Prince Charming?” I looked at him, laughed and said, “Oh, I married Prince Charming!” That elicited quite the laugh – but I meant it.

As we don’t have children, my husband is the only person on the planet to whom I consciously chose to make a lifelong commitment. I chose well.

Happy Anniversary!

1 comment:

Bill Kennedy, CA said...

Don't forget -- September 19 - International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Arrrrr!

Bill